Below are basic instructions for the home handyman.Always refer to instructions supplied with your new water tank.
GUIDELINES FOR INSTALLATION OF WATER TANKS:
- 25mm Poly Pipe and Fittings
- Garden Tap
- Teflon Tape
- 90mm PVC Down Pipe and Fittings
Prepare the base:
The base must be perfectly level and solid when installing round tanks or underdeck tanks. A concrete base is the best. Any alternatives such as sand or gravel have to be carefully evaluated against the substrate and any potential risk of waterlogging the ground. We strongly recommend that slimline tanks be placed on a concrete base. Please consult a qualified plumber if you are not confident.
- Position the tank with the leaf strainer inlet and the overflow closest to the downpipe and the stormwater drain.
- Modify the existing downpipe to divert the roof water into the strainer.
- Attach enough 90mm downpipe to the overflow outlet to reach the stormwater drain.
- Use eight turns of thread tape to attach the flexible suction hose to the pump and the tank’s ball valve outlet.
- Attach 25mm poly pipe to the pump outlet and connect it to the tap attached to the wall.
- Fill the tank with 150mm of water then prime the pump per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Plug in the power lead from the pump and open the tap. Keep the water flowing until all air is bled from the system.
Maintenance of Your Rainwater Tank
- Remove leaves from the strainer regularly.
- Keep the pump covered at all times.